A special event hosted by the United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security:
Theme of the 2013 Resilience Academy: exploring livelihood resilience
The 2013 Resilience Academy will take place in Bangladesh. This 1st Resilience Academy will explore the following core questions with leading experts from academia, policy and practice:
- What tools exist for risk assessment and identification of climate hot spots?
- How can adaptive capacity and resilience in rural and urban livelihood systems be defined and measured?
- What are the main contributors and impediments to climate resilience, theory and in practice?
- What strategies are available for peoples facing overwhelming extremes?
- What can be done to enhance the adaptive capacity and resilience to the climate stressors they face today and in the future?
The dialogue between academia, policy and practice will be at the heart of the Academy, with opportunities for interdisciplinary engagement, time to think and collaborate on specific topics and practical interaction.
The Academy aims at a balance of participants from research, the decision making level, as well as practice:
- Researchers learn the language and views of practitioners and decision makers and other important stakeholders in the context of risk management and adaptation.
- Decision makers get ideas how tailored research can support their work and how it can be included in strategies and political processes.
- Practitioners get insight into latest research findings including appropriate risk communication useful for their work.
Bangladesh: Dhaka, 15–21 September 2013 Germany: Munich, 2014
Send materials in one email with the subject line “ACADEMY” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application process and deadline:
- Please write one concise paragraph on the relationship of your
work to the subject of resilience in the face of environmental
- Please provide a current CV.
- For PhD students, post-docs, and practitioners, please provide a letter of recommendation.
Deadline for applications: 30 June 2013
Decisions will be made by 15 July 2013
Download flyer for more information.